General discussion

error codes # 108 and #4

By badtaz0331 ·
I have a system running MS mellineum edition. It is a compaq presario 7000. Recently I began getting a lot of blue screens. I did a factory restore and now the computer freezes and gives me the above errors. 108 says partion does not end at end of cylinder and 4 says bad argument/parameter. What are these and how can they be fixed.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

error codes # 108 and #4

by dinotech In reply to error codes # 108 and #4

First, getting a lot of blue screens is mostly related to memory issues. After the factory restore, computer freezes (CPU or memory issue). Now, there is a partition error (creation of the partition by the restore program failed) and a bad argument/parameter is associated with an exe, com or sys file misconfigured.

1. Check memory first to see if that might be the cause. You might have to call Compaq at least once or find suitable memory chips for your machine. Be aware you might need memory chips with parity (check documentation)

2. If memory isn't the issue, the hard drive is because of the partition size. You could have a bogus restore CD. Anyone who has a 7000 should be able to lend you a restore CD.

3. Retail systems are hard to troubleshoot because there is code that is added into the system so upgrades have to go through the vendor. The above "answers" are really guidelines to get you in the right direction without contacting Compaq and spending hours on the phone.
Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Back to Desktop Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)