General discussion

Excel 97 working with Win 2000

By patb ·
I am having an ongoing problem with Windows 2000 machines. In Excel 97 the user receives an error when they try to save a file. 'Your changes could not be saved to ????.xls but were saved to 4CCA4100. Close the existing document, then open the temporary document and save it under a new name.'

Microsoft has a known problem with this message when saving to a networked drive. In my case we are storing this file on the local drive. The user is logging into our NT 4.0 server.

Any ideas??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sonnysan In reply to Excel 97 working with Win ...

Go to event viewer on the NTS box. See if any of the error codes are written to the application log. If they are, note the subject and error code. Then aquire a technet cd and type in: subject <error code>. Detailed articles should follow. Fromwin2000 class, apps written for NT don't work that well w/ 2000. For example, backoffice 4.5 has many problems working on the 2000 platform. My friend works at an internet co. using the 2000/backoffice 4.5 solution. They had so many problems, they rolled back to NTS. Microsoft needs to rewrite the code for this suite (solution: backoffice 5.0). Maybe this could be along the lines you are having. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by patb In reply to Excel 97 working with Win ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by borisporosin In reply to Excel 97 working with Win ...

Check user`s file and directory permissions. I don`t have any problem with it (10 Win2k machines logged on NT4.0)

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by mangeshbendre In reply to Excel 97 working with Win ...

Upgrade to Office 2000 Ofice 97 (perticualy Word And Excel) is incompitible with Win2k

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)