General discussion

Exchange 2003 Not Talking to DC

By philldmc ·
For some reason at least once to three times a day my exchange server will not communicate with the domain controllers and I do not know why. Each black out period last about 15 ? 60 minutes. Basically event log say unable to communicate to the global catalog or domain controller but during these black outs the servers are up and running just fine and I can see and ping both domain controllers from exchange using the IP addresses and names of the domain controllers.

I have two two domain controllers:

Adam (Server 2003 SP1, Primary, DNS, DCHP) ip 10.10.1.2

Eve (Server 2003 SP1, Secondary) ip 10.10.1.3

Exchange (Server 2003 SP1, Exchange 2003 SP2) ip 10.10.1.4

I installed Exchange SP2 in hopes to fix the problem but no luck.

I even installed this fix from Microsoft (installed on all servers), but no luck http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898060

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dw_ay In reply to Exchange 2003 Not Talking ...

What do u see in ESM, adminitrative group name, server name, properties, directory access tab, auto or what? is both svr registered as GC/DC? is your dns configured on both DC svr?

Collapse -

by philldmc In reply to

When the the three servers are talking nicely the ESM will see both servers as GC/DC. However when there is a blackout (as I call it) it does not see either server in the Directory Access Tab. I have configured Adam as the DNS server and Eve has Adam listed as the primary DNS server in the DNS listing order.

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to Exchange 2003 Not Talking ...

What about the event log on the GC server? Is there any errors in there, namely the DNS and Sycnronization logs?

Collapse -

by philldmc In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by philldmc In reply to Exchange 2003 Not Talking ...

Ok here is some updates. I believe it has something to do with the DNS. Every time the Exchange stops talking to the DC, if I stop and start the DNS Client on the Exchange box the communication is restored.

Very frustrating...ugh.. Do you think blowing away the DNS and reinstalling might help?

Collapse -

by dani.neufeld In reply to Exchange 2003 Not Talking ...

the issue could be a kerberos certificate gone bad....try this....got to services on the DC that can't comunicate, stop and disable the service, then go to AD sites and services (ntds settings of the broken server) and right click the AD connection, click replicate now.....it should work....you might need to reboot with kerborose disables, but it should replicate and be ok....assuming you got your DNS all fixed and ran the KB898060 (the correct one for your server.

let me know what happens

Collapse -

by philldmc In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by philldmc In reply to Exchange 2003 Not Talking ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)