General discussion

FIC VIA 503+ Board problems.

By darkelord ·
Apologies, I didn't realise I was closing the topic.
I've reposted EXACTLY what my previous post was - please see the origional post for comments thus far.

Currently, I'm running Win95B with an AMD450 K6-2 CPU. Also running is an ATI Xpert 128, Creative PCI 128 Sound CarD and 160Mb over 2 DIMMs - a 32 and a 128. Both are certified PC100 ( though, they are generic ).

My problem is that my system is completely unstable - even from a fresh install. typical examples are:

Explorer/User/Kernel errors, though not many blue scream errors
Software just closing, for no apparent reason ( this happens more when the wife plays her games - DirectX 7.0a is installed ).

there's other stuff, though it's not quite so 'classifiable' as the above problems.

Now, can someone please offer me some solutions? I'm fast approaching the idea of throwing it out of a window.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ec364 In reply to FIC VIA 503+ Board proble ...

Sounds like you have memory problem. Try removing the 32MB and leave the 128MB. Restart and run every apps and observe for any errors.

If that didn't solve the problem. Step back and recall if you have applied the correct and updated drivers for your video, sound and PCI and other components that you have installed. When in doubt, reinstall Windows 98 and this time make sure of it.

Collapse -

by darkelord In reply to FIC VIA 503+ Board proble ...

Windows 95, not 98 - Windows 98 won't install properly ( the update edition - I keep getting a configmg error ).

Collapse -

by snitter In reply to FIC VIA 503+ Board proble ...

It could be the problem is your chip. In amd k6 450 and above there is a timing error that might cause this problem. There is a patch for this on the microsoft web site. It also could be the board try going into the bios and disabling the cache and see if it clears your problems. Hope this helps

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bstei18 In reply to FIC VIA 503+ Board proble ...

Answer 2 is correct except that the problem starts with 350MHz and up for AMD's. Look for this article: Problems Using High Speed AMD K6-2/350 Central Processing Unit [Q192841] and download the patch for it at http://download.microsoft.com/download/win98SE/update/1/w95/EN-US/Amdk6upd.exe

Good Luck!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by fred_e944 In reply to FIC VIA 503+ Board proble ...

The AMD update isn't your problem. If it was, the computer would die before Windows starts with an error message about IOS.
Concentrate on Device Drivers and Cards. If there are no conflicts and installing the most recent drivers for your cards (from the Manufacturers' web sites) doesn't help reinstall Windows (slow the processor to 300MHz or less on the motherboard until you have installed the AMD update described in Microsoft Knowledge Base articles Q192841 and Q234259).
Also check with FIC to see if there has been a BIOS update. If so, flash the BIOS.

Collapse -

The bios is uptodate and the patch is already applied.

Thanks for the input though:)

Collapse -

by jfrazee In reply to FIC VIA 503+ Board proble ...

Had same problem. I disabled both internal and external cache. Then went in and enabled external. worked fine. so disabled external and enabled internal. It gave errors. So i ran it for a few days with internal cache disabled. it was too slow though. So i returned the chip and the next one worked fine. It is quite a stupid problem that is with certain chips. So try contacting the company that you bought it off of.

Collapse -

Back to Desktop Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next