Question

help trying to connect to domain and shares with server 2003

By they call me knowledge ·
hi there
well i have 1 server running server 2003 i use this as a file server, dns and domain controller.
i have to cliect machines 1 running vista ultimate sp1 and the other running xp pro sp2.

with my computer running vista i can ping the other computers on my network i can do remote desktop connection to the other computers on my network and i can access mapped drives but i cant connect to my domain i have tried loads of things but have got nowhere with it.

my other computer running xp i can ping the other computersi can do remote desktop connection to the other computers but i cant connect to my domain i cant see any other computers in my network places and i cant acces any shars and i cant map any drives.

i have turned firewalls off on both computers but still no luck.

i dont no what to do can somebody help me please

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Are you using DHCP

by Jacky Howe In reply to help trying to connect to ...

Go to the workstation and logon as the Local Administrator, in Control Panel, select the Network Connections, Local Area Connection, right click and select Properties, select Internet Protocol and Properties, Tick Obtain an IP address automatically and the same for Obtain DNS server address automatically.

<br><br>

In Control Panel, select the System icon: Select the tab : "Computer Name" To rename this computer or join a domain click change Type in your Domain Name a box will appear asking for a Username and Password Type in the username and password for the new account that has permission to add a PC to the Domain.
<br><br>
Let us know how you get on.
<br><br>

Collapse -

still cant connect

by they call me knowledge In reply to Are you using DHCP

thanks for the reply well im using dhcp but i changed the setting like you said but it now says limited or no connectivity i tried typing in the domain but it says

"a domain controller for the domain domain.local could not be contacted"

i have put the ip addresses back in manually and it is no longer limited but i still cannot connect to the domain.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)