Question

How to manage/create mailboxes of Exchange 2007 from a Child Domain

By tusharsakharkar ·
How to manage/create mailboxes of Exchange 2007 from a Child Domain.
Say if I have all the exchange server 2007 roles servers i.e Mailbox, CAS, Hub, Edge Servers on the child domain controller, how can link them with the Mailbox, CAS, Hub, Edge Servers at the Root domain, so that replication between respective Exchange Server role occur and I get permissions to Mailbox, CAS, Hub, Edge Servers and also to manage/create mailboxes of Exchange 2007 from a Child Domain

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

so the MX is what?

by CG IT In reply to How to manage/create mail ...

child domain of root is (child)).(parent).com

and you want the MX to be what?
@(child).(parent).com ?

The question "what's the MX" is important to know because DNS plays a big role in Active Directory Services. Since Exchange sends and receives based on namespace have to know the namespace your using.

Collapse -

Hi CG, MX record would be made to point Root Domain Controller

by tusharsakharkar In reply to so the MX is what?

Hi CG,
MX record would be made to point Root Domain Controller on which the Exchange server roles are installed, Edge subscription also given the priority. But I wannu know what happens when the Exch 2007 roles are installed on the Child Domain Controller, how am I suppose to manage users, mailboxes for my clients of child domain. Also if U can tell me what would be the Edge server concept, data flow on the child domain.

Collapse -

for that you really need to pickup some study material

by CG IT In reply to Hi CG, MX record would be ...

on Designing an Active Directory Infrastructure and then Exchange in an Enterprise environment.

I'll give you a hint: Active Directory user and computers/user account properties/Exchange tabs.

and one more hint:in a contigious domain namespace, there is an inherent two way transitive trust between parent/child domains.

But you really need the theory behind enterprise design both for active directory and exchange. To get that, you need to either takes courses or get some self paced training material.

almost forgot: the last is physical topology. How does all that fit within the physical topology of the network.

Collapse -

I guess U didnt understand my question.. please understand tht I wannu know

by tusharsakharkar In reply to for that you really need ...

With all the due respect, please try and understand what I want to know. I am a MCSE 2003 myself, but I may not be having the kind of experience you have in setting up networks/servers.

Please correct me if I am wrong to state the following:
If my company have a Exchange server roles i.e Mailbox, CAS, Hub Transport and DNS server setup on Root Domain controller, Edge Server is also setup by giving its Edge subscription on Hub Transport server on RDC. MX record is also made so that it points to Edge Server for incoming e-mails.

Now very same Exchange setup is also made on Child Domain Controller in the Child Domain and Edge Server also setup, MX record is also made to point to the Edge Server in Child Domain.
Now, I want to manage all my Exchange Server roles on the Child Domain such that when I create a user/mailbox it "should have the domain name of the Root Domain" and also the these new users/mailboxes created on the Child Domain controller (on which Mailbox, CAS, Hub Transport and DNS(for child domain) server setup) should "reflect/replicated" in the mailbox server on the Root Domain Controller.

CG, Please answer this and oblige..

Collapse -

Here's to Microsoft Technet

by CG IT In reply to I guess U didnt understan ...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124701.aspx

Edge email server concepts.

and again, if your question is how are child domain email accounts managed, Active Directory Users and Computers/User Accounts/Users/Properties.

and you create your own MMCs

Collapse -

You asked me! you want the MX to be what? @(child).(parent).com ?

by tusharsakharkar In reply to Here's to Microsoft Techn ...

You asked me...
so the MX is what?

@(child).(parent).com ?

I want MX to be (child).(parent).com but my child domain email user IDs to be, example, user@(parent).com and "not" user@(child).(parent).com

Collapse -

You asked me! you want the MX to be what? @(child).(parent).com ?_

You asked me...
so the MX is what?

@(child).(parent).com ?

I want MX to be (child).(parent).com but my child domain email user IDs to be, example, user@(parent).com and "not" user@(child).(parent).com

Collapse -

I will give U my Scenario in detail.. Pl do answer this as its very imp..

I have 1 RDC (in Parent Domain Docomo.com situated at New York) on which there's a DNS (MX pointing to the Edge Server edge1.docomo.com), Hub Transport role, CAS and Mailbox Server Role.
Now I have CDC (in Child Domain child.Docomo.com situated at Florida) on which there's DNS (MX pointing to Egde Server edge2.child.docmo.com, this edge for the child domain) and there are also Hub, CAS and Mailbox server roles.

Now can I create a mailbox enabled user on the Exchange Server in Child domain with the mail ID of U1@docomo.com (which's the suffix of my Parent Domain). I think AD user creation rights are with RDC as the Forest wide roles belong to RDC. Can I achieve this and if yes then when a mail coming to user situated in a Child domain U1@docomo.com, will it be routed to the Edge Server Edge1 on the Parent Domain or will it be routed to Edge Server Edge2 on the Child Domain and what shold be done in order to route that external incoming to Child Domain Edge Server Edge2?

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)