General discussion

HP 940c printer

By gilligansisland5 ·
I am trying to hook 2 computers to 1 printer. First coumputer is parrell 2nd is on usb. 2nd computer prints fine. First computer has error that reads: There was an errorwriting to LPT1 Port : for printer hp deskjet 940c. A printer timeout occured toincrease the timeout settings for your printer open printer folder click the icon for your printer click file menu and then click Properties. To continue printing click retry. windows will automatically retry after 5 seconds. I have done this but the same error come up. Is ther any help you can give me. John Gilligan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

HP 940c printer

by sgt_shultz In reply to HP 940c printer

If I am following correctly, you have an error writing to LPT1 (which is a parallel port) from the computer connected to the printer via a USB cable...install the printer using the USB installation steps...

Collapse -

HP 940c printer

by TheChas In reply to HP 940c printer

My suspicion is that the printer disables the parallel port when connected via a USB port.

You have 3 choices:

1. Connect with the parallel port from each PC, and use a bi-directional printer switch.
(If PC #2 does not have a parallel port, you can get USB to Parallel cables for around $20.)

2. Use USB from both PCs and use a USB data switch.

3. Network the 2 PCs, and use 1 as the printer server.

Chas

Back to Desktop Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)