General discussion

IBM 300GL model 65637rr

By zlitocook ·
I am working on a computer for my wifes boss:). The rr means refurb., I loaded 98 on it and rebooted just fine. I turned it back on a hour or so latter to load some other things and it came up with no operating system. I booted to a boot disk and nohard drive found. I replaced IDE cables with known good with same message. Cleared bios, switched from IDE 1 to 2 on mainboard same thing. Went to IBM web site and looked for about an hour no help. What do you think a bad refurb?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

IBM 300GL model 65637rr

by Ann777 In reply to IBM 300GL model 65637rr

Do you have another hdd you can try in this computer?

When the boss and/or wife purchased this, did it come with any kind of warranty? Was it working for any length of time? Win98 the original OS?

Ultimately this is an old obsolete model.Your boss can go to Fry's/CompUSA/MicroCenter etc. or any number of places an purchase a basic oldest model and pay like $200 for it.

About a year ago I purchased a 733 MHz computer, linux-based, 128 mb ram, 20 gb storage, cd-rom, etc for $299 full/complete and still operational today.

Collapse -

IBM 300GL model 65637rr

by Ann777 In reply to IBM 300GL model 65637rr

From what you describe I'd guess a hdd problem first... because it's not seeing an OS that it booted with previously. Try the hdd in another computer and see if you can get it to operate consistently.

If it works in another computer, then lookto the systemboard/ide controller. Make sure none of the pins are bent or broken. Also check the format of the drive... if it has more than 3.2 GB, then you probably have to partition it in small increments in order to utilize the drive fully. The BIOS date is ??? Are there BIOS upgrades available? If the drive is larger than 3.2 GB then someone added the drive at a later time.

Collapse -

IBM 300GL model 65637rr

by zlitocook In reply to IBM 300GL model 65637rr

It's a mother board problem of some type. If I disconect the sound cable from the cdrom to the mother board it works fine. If I leave the hard drive unjumpered it will work but if I make the hard drive master it will not even post. I made some untechnician like adjustments and got it to work. Thanks

Collapse -

IBM 300GL model 65637rr

by zlitocook In reply to IBM 300GL model 65637rr

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)