Question

IBM Thinkpad R51 - 176 Error - System has been tampered with

By pintu1982 ·
IBM Thinkpad R51 - 176 Error - System has been tampered with
Hi,

I am in need of your help. I have a IBM Thinkpad T41 that I am having a bit of trouble with. When I try to start it up it shows an error message - System has been tampered with, then after that prompts me for a password.

It will not let me into the bios to change any settings and I am not aware of any passwords I have set. Any time I try to enter the bios its refers me to the error message and then the password prompt.

Any help or ideas is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Contact...

by cmiller5400 In reply to IBM Thinkpad R51 - 176 Er ...

Contact Lenovo. They are the only one's that can help you with a password issue.

Collapse -

RE: System has been tampered with

by OH Smeg In reply to IBM Thinkpad R51 - 176 Er ...

This is pretty much self explanatory someone has set a Password and incorrectly entered it 3 or more times. When this happens the system defaults to requiring the Password to start up.

As there is no way to delete this as it is stored in a Separate Security Chip you need to contact your nearest Lenovo Service Agent the new owners of IBM Note Books and take it to them to clear. If this is a Design Issue that has occurred they may not charge you for the work but if it is the result of someone tampering with the system they will most defiantly charge you to fix this up.

Col

Collapse -

C'mon - be honest ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to IBM Thinkpad R51 - 176 Er ...

How many attempts did you make to 'guess' the password before posting on TR ??

You'll feel better when you let it all out. :)

Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)