General discussion

Installing Win2003 Server on a RAID Disk

By ronschmidt ·
Can WIN2003 Server be installed on a disk that is part of a RAID 0 or RAID 1 array? I am trying to install Win2003 Server on an IBM eServer series X206. I have two 80 GIG SATA drives attached to a SATA RAID controller and have them both defined as members of the array. I tried both RAID 0 and RAID 1 but both times the Win2003 install cannot find a hard disk present and aborts the install process. Can the NOS be installed on a RAID device or must it be installed on one outside of the array?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to Installing Win2003 Server ...

See redundant question above.

Collapse -

by dgolic In reply to Installing Win2003 Server ...

It certainly can, but you will need a driver for the controller on which you ar attaching disks. Usually, you can find them on disk provided by manufacturer, or on manufacturer's web site.

Collapse -

by ronschmidt In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Installing Win2003 Server ...

If your using Promise 376/8 SATA raid controller, you first setup your array [mirrored or striped] and set the boot order to boot the array or boot SCSI [some BIOSs will create a BSS array designation for the array, some will not. If your BIOS doesn't, its boot SCSI]. When installing Windows Server 2003 and booting from the CD press F6 to install 3rd party SCSI drivers and follow the on screen instructions for installing the drivers making sure you install all controller drivers. When windows reboot, it'll boot the RAID array.

Collapse -

by ronschmidt In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by ronschmidt In reply to Installing Win2003 Server ...

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

Installing Win2003 Server on a RAID Disk

by husmear In reply to Installing Win2003 Server ...

Yes you can.. use the driver of the controller or u may also integrate it to the windows server 2003 OS. what i did is, i integrated nvidia sata controller to my windows server 2003 installation disk using nlite and boom.. i was able to install my windows server in a hardware raid..

hope it hepls..

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)