Apple

Question

Is the late 2015 iMac still worth it in 2021

By dexworthy ·
Tags: Apple, Mac
Im starting to get more into apple and want to start editing videos and producing music. With using apple's software like final cut pro and Logic pro, Is a late 2015 imac 27 5k still a good purchase.
My company gives us "at cost" discounts on our in house products. Recently we got a trade in for a Late2015, 27inch 5k retina, 3.2 Quad i5, 1TB Fusion. 8GB Memory iMac. 
My cost to purchase since I work for the company would be $600. Is that a steal? Also how would the longevity be? I was also going to upgrade it by putting in 16Gb of more Ram and eventually putting a full SSD in it, instead of the fusion.
Let me know what you think!
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I have to write no.

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to Is the late 2015 iMac sti ...

This is too old in my view. Your plan is good as to RAM but the SSD, even a 1TB is right about 100USD here so I would change the drive first, not second. The payoff is big compared to more RAM.

As I read https://boards.rossmanngroup.com/threads/imac-retina-5k-27-inch-late-2015-yes-no.34054/ my no is now NOOoo... NO SCHEMATIC so it appears that if there is ever a problem you are S.O.L!

The price is far too high for this machine IMO that is a pain to replace that drive.

See https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+Retina+4K+Display+Teardown/51098

Final answer: No. Don't do it.

Collapse -

Replacing the drive in any iMac

by mrmacfixit Moderator In reply to I have to write no.

since 2012 has been a pain.
That was the first year they started using glue to hold the screen cover in place.
This 2015 could have either a 5400rpm hard drive or a Fusion drive which is a combination of SSD and HDD.
It is still supported by Apple and, according to them, is capable of running the latest version of the MacOS (Big Sur). That said, I probably would not take it further than 10.14.xx (Mojave)
Maximum RAM is 64GB and is user replaceable.
As to price, I have seen them go from the high $500's to $1200 and change.
Final Cut Pro, current version, requires MacOS 10.14, 8GB of RAM and 16GB of VRAM, the 2015 machine has either 2GB or 4GB of VRAM That "might" be sufficient for non-4K editing
While the price may be OK, the specs are way below what you would need for anything but the simplest of editing and sound producing.
iMovie, which comes with the Mac, is fairly capable of video editing but not on a par with FCP.
If you have $600 to spare, it would be worth it to dip your toe into the Apple world but not really for your stated objectives.
P

Collapse -

I have to write this.

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to Replacing the drive in an ...

At 600 USD they are stealing from you.