Question

login fails on server 2003 client side

By esd ·
I have just set up a basic server 2003 standard network and added my clients. I had them all connecting and getting their files from the server for two days. this morning when I get in noone is able to login. There is another domain controller in the mix here (2000) that i will be taking down, but need to wait for a week. the symptom is when a client logs in to the server (they are not joined to the domain) they enter their username and password and it bounces back with their username and pc name in the box, no prompt or anything (pcname/username). it was working fine yesterday. the weird part is everyones pc can login as administrator with no issues. can anyone help me understand and fix the problem? I suspect the other server is an issue as well, but like I said we are only accessing the server as a file machine and not acctually joining its domain. thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Possible fix

by esd In reply to login fails on server 200 ...

I went to some of the client machines and changed their domain to the server they are accessing files from. I restarted, but instead of logging in to the client via domain login, I logged in the same way (in to the computer) as I normally did, to prevent creating a new profile. I was able to get to the files this way, but time will tell. I believe it was because the clients were in workgroups instead of the domain, so the domain old and new were fighting for the clients, or maybe theres a more logical reason too, lol. If anyone has more input then it is welcome. Thanks.

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)