General discussion

Mix 2000 & 2003 Domain Controllers

By haileyan ·
I am curious about whether I can mix 2000 & 2003 domain controllers in my domain.

I currently have all Windows 2000 servers with the exception of one Windows 2003 server that I have setup to play with Sharepoint Services and Terminal Services.

I have decided that I want to deploy the 2003 Terminal Server. I like it much better than the 2000 version. I have found that 1.) Terminal Services License server must run on a Domain Controller. 2.) If that domain controller is on a 2000 machine you can only install Terminal Services Licensing for 2000 Terminal Servers.

What I want to do is add a Domain Controller to my existing domain so that I can enjoy added fault tolerance and install Terminal Services Licensing Server for 2003 Terminal Services.

Can anyone provide me with a link to a technote that explains whether this can or cannot be done and why.

Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by haileyan In reply to Mix 2000 & 2003 Domain Co ...

I have found:
"Cannot promote a Windows 2003 Server Domain Controller in a Windows 2000 Forest"; TechNote ID# 278875

"...adprep /forestprep Command causes mangled Exchange 2000 attribute"; TechNote ID# 314649

It would appear that 2000 & 2003 servers can coexist as domain controllers on the same domain. It requires that I update the schema on the Windows 2000 Server domain controller to match 2003. Once the schema is update I can promote the 2003 Server. The only cause for concern is my existing Exchange 2000 Server.

Here is what I must do as I understand it assuming only a single domain controller for the domain:
1.) Remove my existing DC from the network
2.) Run Inetorgpersonfix.ldf to prevent mangles AD exchange objects.
3.) Using the 2003 CD-ROM. Run adprep /forestprep
4.) Reconnect DC to network
5.) From the 2003 CD-ROM run adprep /domainprep.

Please let me know if I am correct here.

Collapse -

Step one above..."remove DC from network" I simply mean to disconnect the network cable not demote the DC.

Collapse -

by rindi1 In reply to Mix 2000 & 2003 Domain Co ...

I have added a Windows 2003 Server as DC to a windows 2000 DC with no problems. Generally windows 2000 server and Windows 2003 Server are the same thing, except that 2k3 has more and better features, like, Terminal server supports full color and client drive redirection, etc. There isn't anything special you have to take into account.

Collapse -

by haileyan In reply to

Thanks for the help!

Collapse -

by dmiddltn In reply to Mix 2000 & 2003 Domain Co ...

It can be done... just simply join the W2k3 box to the domain and make it a domain controller.
At that time you will be able to install TS 2003 licens.

Collapse -

by haileyan In reply to

Thanks for the help!

Collapse -

by WanabeDrSean In reply to Mix 2000 & 2003 Domain Co ...

Please extend the active directory schema for your 2003 server to be joined to the forest just search microsofts site for the utility.

Collapse -

by haileyan In reply to

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)