Question

MS Outlook 2003 with Windows Server 2003 SBS

By techteacher69 ·
I installed a Dell Poweredge 840 and installed Win Server 2003 for SBS. My clients want to share their outlook 2003 calendars among 6 pc's so everyone can enter data and be able to retrieve it from any location in the store. They don't have exchange nor do they have the $$ to pay a monthly fee for it. They use IMAP in and STMP out. I have only used shared Outlook with exchange.

I am running into a real headache getting outlook to share and they are running out of patience. For the first time in my tech career, I feel inept. Do I install it on the server and map a drive to it? Or just install it on the pc clients?

Any help would sincerely be apprecaited.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You did say SBS

by Churdoo In reply to MS Outlook 2003 with Wind ...

SBS has exchange built in, period. It's possible that during the initial install, whomever installed SBS opted out of Exchange, but if it is indeed SBS, then Exchange is already paid for. Either Exchange is running and you don't know it and don't use it, or it wasn't installed, but you can indeed go ahead and re-run setup and install Exchange.

Outlook without Exchange uses .pst files, and .pst files cannot be shared simultaneously, period again. So don't feel inept for not getting something to work that wasn't designed to work.

Figure out if Exchange is installed with their SBS or not, and re-run setup if necessary, then migrate their hosted IMAP email to their exchange server, change mx records, yadda yadda, and then you'll have the full Outlook sharing functionality you're looking for.

If you need more detail relative to migrating to exchange, post back.

Collapse -

Yes, SBS and THANK YOU!

by techteacher69 In reply to You did say SBS

Apparently it was disabled; I work on the server from home through a vpn so I'll check it out tonite. I may need some additional help. Just have my plate full with stuff. I'm a tech coordinator for a school district and we are right at the start of school plus this server issue with an outside client. Thanks, again!

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)