General discussion

New server 2003 machine introduced into an existing 2000 domain

By pauld ·
Hello all, we recently purchased a new server with 2003 standard pre-installed. Currently we have a server 2000 setup on our network. There is a PDC and an additional DC both running server 2000. When the new server arrived I brought it up off the network. After I had logged into the new server I shut it down and connected it to the network. I ran adprep /forestprep then /domainprep on the PDC and it ran flawlessly. Now, with the new server connected to the network I added the role of domain controller to it. It appeared to go fine. The AD has replicated and the server seemed to be functioning properly. I went into the machine that is the pdc, opened AD and looked in the domain controllers container. It shows itself and the second 2000 dc in the container but not the new 2003 machine. I then went into AD on the second DC and looked in the domain controllers container on that machine. It shows itself, the pdc AND the new 2003 server machine as domain controllers. That is strange in itself. The issue is that no machine on the domain can access the new 2003 servers share except that secondary domain controller. It's as if the new 2003 machine isn't recognizing it's own AD. In any case I'm stumped and need some help fairly quickly with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Try Technical Q&A forum.

by deepsand In reply to New server 2003 machine i ...

This is a tech. problem, in search of a solution.

It properly belongs in "Technical Q&A," not in "Discussions." Please re-post there.

Not only will you be more likely to attract the attention of those seeking to provide answers, but you will also make it easier for those seeking discussions to find such.

Thank you...

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)