General discussion

Pavilion 9880 Wont boot cold

By cyntek1 ·
Unbelievable, a machine that wont boot cold, but will after sitting idle and rebooting. Its a HP Pavilion 9880 with Phoenix Bios. After shutting down for 1/2 hour or more when turned back on the BIOS beeps 1 long, 2 short, 98h. Search for option ROMS. Screen stays black, cant get into CMOS F1. Sometimes screen works, it wont detect the HD (error message appears on screen, get into CMOS and wont detect HD). Power is on all components. Leave it sit running for a while to warm up, (runs pretty hot, too)reboot and it picks up HD and goes straight to XP. Then it runs fine as long as it isnt shut off for more than 1/2 hr or so. Warranty is out. HP is no help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sami.kaunisto In reply to Pavilion 9880 Wont boot c ...

Try replacing your video card . In most Bioses 1 long and 2 short beeps means " bad videocard" .

Collapse -

by cyntek1 In reply to

Thank you, but it isnt an Award Bios. It is a Phoenix. 1 long 2 short is 98h "Search for Option ROMs" in a Phoenix Bios

Collapse -

by donmars In reply to Pavilion 9880 Wont boot c ...

Yes 1 long 2 short is Video problem. Instead of replacing video board simply remove board and use integrated video. If you are using Integrated Video then, yes, try a PCI or AGP video card. Not sure why the H/D is not detected though.

Collapse -

by cyntek1 In reply to

Thank you, but it isnt an Award Bios. It is a Phoenix. 1 long 2 short is 98h "Search for Option ROMs" in a Phoenix Bios

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Pavilion 9880 Wont boot c ...

in addition, also try replacing the battery, the battery may have run out life.

Leopold

Collapse -

by cyntek1 In reply to

The battery is brand new, but thank you.

Collapse -

by Link999 In reply to Pavilion 9880 Wont boot c ...

I had a similar problem with a system. I tried everything I could think of. In the end, all it needed was a new CMOS battery.

Maybe something simple like that for your problem too.

Collapse -

by cyntek1 In reply to

The battery is brand new but thank you

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Pavilion 9880 Wont boot c ...

flash update the bios to the newest version.
Use a electronic cleaner to clean all the components.

and although the manual says otherwise try swithing memory chips, or use only 1 (if you can), change videocard to troubleshoot, else I don't know.

Leopold

Collapse -

by cyntek1 In reply to

I have switched the memory. Removed all components (even drives) stipped it down to nothing but mother board and power supply and flashed the bios. I have come to the conclusion that it has got to be the motherboard. I can only guess that there must be a loose sodder on the board and when it gets warm it finally gets a connection. Thank you for all of the suggestions, everyone.

Back to Desktop Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)