General discussion

Poweredge 6300

By Luvs2read ·
I have a Dell Poweredge 6300 server that wont boot after a power outage. Error comes up with "Boot Device Unavailable"-tried reinstalling the W2K OS but--system does not see any boot devices..this is my backup server so you can understand my dilema, need help on how to revive the drive long enough to get some data off. Any ideas??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Poweredge 6300

It might already be too late for that drive. But what I would do is remove it and Slave it to another computer or maybe even slave it in the same one that it's currently in with another install of Windows and then fit the drive and see if it can be read. Quite often after a prolonged down time the drive will be more suseptiable to working than if you hit it straight away although there is no set rule for this.

If it doesn't work you can wrap in a plastic bag and stick it in the frezer for a while to allow it to get cold and try again but if this works you'll need to work fast to prevent the drive getting too hot and shutting down again. So if this works just grab the data only that you absolutely need and copy it off and then you can start trying to copy other data and if the drive stops working you know that's it. It might work slightly longer if you repeat the Freazing trick but it's not something that you can rely upon to work for a long period of time.

Collapse -

by Luvs2read In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)