General discussion

Problem installing SMS 2003 Server

By Eminent87 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to install SMS 2003 on Windows 2003 server. I'm stuck at the final part of the installation, it asks to add administrator priviledge to the sql server but I have no idea how to do this. Can someone help me with this? Here is the error:

"Either the SQL Server is in a Windows NT 4 domain or this computer's machine account does not have Administrator's privileges on the SQL Server. To install a site in advanced security, all servers must be in Active Directory and the site server's machine account must have Administrator's privileges on the SQL Server."

I have installed sql on a different server and created a database for the sms site but I do not know how to add administrator priviledge to the computer account. Please help!

Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Problem installing SMS 20 ...

When you install SQL it asked for an administrators account to use with a password. you need to use that account. When you setup SMS, SMS needs to access the SQL database to store information it gets. Think of SMS accessing the SQL database by proxy. That means that when you run the SMS program, SMS uses the admin account like NT Authority to access the SQL database, then display in SMS what SMS found out when it queried all other computers on the network. If you have access privileges to SMS then you have access to the SQL Database.

Collapse -

by Eminent87 In reply to

Hi,

Thanks for your responce. I found out from the MS knowledge base that the computer running the SMS must be added to the Administrator built-in account. After I have added the SMS computer to the built-in account, installation finished without a problem.

Collapse -

same problem

by miyamiya In reply to

hi

i have the same problem as yours, but i don't really understand how and where can i add the SMS computer to the built-in account.
i've tried to install SMS 2003 on the same computer as sql server 2005 . the error message has changed. it only contains the first part of the error when installing on a different computer : i mean
" SQL Server is not installed on the computer-name of the computer-. Enter a correct server name."

Can you please help me if you can, or just explain to me , how did you solve it.

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Problem installing SMS 20 ...

Logon as administrator on the SQL server and add an account which has privileges on that database.

You will not be able to grant a machine accounts rights on a database, so it will have to be a user account.

Collapse -

by Eminent87 In reply to

Hi,

Thanks for your responce. I found out from the MS knowledge base that the computer running the SMS must be added to the Administrator built-in account. After I have added the SMS computer to the built-in account, installation finished without a problem.

Collapse -

by Eminent87 In reply to Problem installing SMS 20 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)