General discussion

Problem upgrading from NT to 2000

By tomacker ·
When I try to upgrade from NT to 2000, using a 2000 CD, my keyboard becomes inoperable at the point where I have to select between: install, repair, or quit.

I therefore can't proceed any further, and have to shut down and reboot to my NT configuration.
The keyboard works fine up to that point, and also after the reboot to NT.

Any idea why this is, and how I can fix.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by fitgirl In reply to Problem upgrading from NT ...

Is upgrading your only option? This is not Windows 2000 problem, its a hardware problem from NT. Although the hardware associations are supposed to be the same, there are often problems with and upgrading.

1st - If you must upgrade, have you tried upgrading with a different working keyboard?

2nd - Try using windows update for an updated driver and see if any are available. Although keyboards are pretty standard unless you have a multimedia-ready unit.

If you can, save data and performa clean install. Because you may have trouble with applications from NT also.

Good luck!

Fitgirl

Collapse -

by tomacker In reply to Problem upgrading from NT ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by pooterguy In reply to Problem upgrading from NT ...

Take it from soneone who has made a living from installing windows 2000 pro. Do a clean install. Make your 4 bootable disks off the CD...dump the old partion and start from scratch...Once you have the system up and running do a complete update from Microsoft (all service packs (3) and patches) Before you install any software do a scandisk and a defrag. This will save you a problem or two later as well give you the best install to start with. Time spent now can save you from a crunch later. PS don't forget to make the restore disk and keep it updated.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Pocono In reply to Problem upgrading from NT ...

Are you running service pack 4 on NT? You will need to if you want to upgrade to w2k....also, always check the hardware compatability list on ms' website...Peace

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)