Backup Device:
Internal HP Ultrium 960 Drive
SCSI through external chassis.
LTO3 800GB Tapes
64K Block size
64K Buffer
Buffer count 10
Single block mode
Simple schedule and just basic data. Full backup daily.
36 Brand new tapes, only used for the past 3 months.

About a month ago I had a stuck tape in my backup drive, when it was removed the inner tape stayed behin, like it was torn. So i had HP replace the device as it was under warranty. The system has been running for about a year with out problems. A week later the brand new drive, had the same problem. It was replaced. And again after about two weeks. The third drive only had one JOB and I had the same problem.

Hp doesn't want to replace the unit again and I'm stuck because I have no idea what's causing this. All the HP tests come through as successfull. No system settings changed whatsoever.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Have you looked at the actual Tapes?

by OH Smeg In reply to Recurring stuck tape on H ...

They do wear out and fail. Even the best tape stretches and breaks over time and these Tapes are by no means the best of breed.

You need to regularly replace the Tapes to prevent breakages and other failures like those that you are experiencing here.

Col

Collapse -

How old are your tapes

by Jacky Howe In reply to Recurring stuck tape on H ...

Backup tapes will eventually go to Silicon Heaven. If you have a higher usage, eg: tapes used for daily backups will deteriorate sooner than those used on monthly or weekly backups. Tapes will need to be replaced once they reach their use by date. Using tapes beyond their use by date will increase the risk of backup and restore failures.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)