General discussion

Locked

Remote access

By richard ·
Please can somebody help this is really killing me that it won't work. I have set up my server (windows 2003 web edition) as a RAS server. I have given accounts in active directory rights to log on remotely, I have disabled firewalls and everything else I think possible to get remote acces VPN to work. However, when I try to connect a client it connects to the server but cannot authenticate the username and or password (error 691). anybody any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jason In reply to Remote access

Hi, this may not be of much help - but i am tracking it down.

I set up sbs 2003 and promptly set up VPN (it was a main requirement for the client) It worked for 2 days and suddenly stopped.

The client PC's get error 691 Password / user etc - even though the accounts are fine - or are they? - if I check on the server all the accounts now give an error when entered / edited that Dial up profile could not be loaded path not found (sorry not exact, I left the server behind 5 hours ago) and the Dial in tab shows an error instead of the details.

As far as I can arrow it down it seems to be related to an MS hotfix some other external change to the server. No other admins where near the server so it has not been introduced locally.

I tried a registry fix from the MS site that changes / sets permissions to correct the symptoms on the server but that did not work.

in short I feel this is a result of an MS patch as all was well for 2 days and no changes were introduced on the server bar having auto update on - of course saying that it could be some malicious code but I think this would have been intercepted and more help available if it were.

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Discussions

Related Forums