Question

• Creator
    Topic

Rename Windows 2008 Domain

by zombiebot ·

Hi,

I have a very simple single server domain. The server is running Windows Server 2008 and is the dc and dns server for about 8 PCs.

I stupidly gave the domain a .co.uk suffix and I want to change the suffix to .local.

Looking at various other sources it seems the Rendom utility should be able to help me but I can’t find a clear guid to using it, especially as my domain is so simple and contains no mail servers or any other servers at all!

Can anyone provide me a clear, step by step guide to renaming the domain taking into account it’s simplicity.

I’d love it if the answer was something like ‘Yeah, just run RENDOM.EXE /NEWDOMAINNAME’ but I fear this isn’t the case!

If the solution is too involved I guess I may have to just rebuild the server using the correct name.

Thank you all!
    Rob

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by zombiebot ·

In reply to Rename Windows 2008 Domain

Clarifications

Since your domain is small

by dumphrey ·

(8 pcs) I would say just run dcpromo to remove the domain, then rebuld the domain new using the .local extension.

Here is a web cast for domain rename in server 2003, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=819145.

Seems the tool is built in to server 2008.

But most of the posts I saw did not suggest a rename unless it was the only option. It does not look to be as automated as many MS tasks, and with lots of room for human error.

I think it might be that easy, so try it out…..

by Anonymous ·

It is already installed as part of “Active Directory Domain Services” role.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
      If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

Link to documentation on “How To”

by monice ·

Viewing 3 reply threads