Question

SBS 2003 Exchange STM file problem

By slarkin ·
We are running Small Business Server. A few months ago our STM files started to grow very fast. I have deleted and recreated the file using eseutil several times which temporarily fixes the problem. The file continues to grow and I do not know what other steps to take to resolve this issue. I have read all kinds of forums and no solution.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You can try this method for your data STM.

The native content database (STM) or the streaming database holds messages that were submitted by non-MAPI clients (post Exchange 5.5). The file is called a streaming file since data is added to it sequentially in its native format. The data itself inside the STM file is not encoded or encrypted in any way so if a store is dismounted the file can be viewed using a text editor.

Database/Store ? The database is the placeholder for the information. The database files grow by 2MB increments. To prevent excessive fragmentation of the database on the hard drive you can change the increments to 16MB. This change can be done by using ADSIEDIT and accessing a specific storage group through the Configuration partition of the Active Directory. On the storage groups properties edit the msExchESEParamDbExtensionSize parameter and set it to 4096.
http://www.msexchange.org/articles/Exchange-Databases-Disk-Consumption.html

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)