General discussion

SBS2003: Cant add user/reset password

By 621flatbed ·
I have a SBS 2003 Standard server which just had a hard drive fail in the RAID array which somehow needed a Windows repair to boot up. I couldn't get into safe mode after waiting over 40 minutes. I went into safe mode and disabled every Exchange service as I no longer need it, we use a different server now.

Now, one of my ~9 users can no longer login. WINS isn't starting up because 'the specified file no longer exists.' I can't reset her password - same error. I can't add a new user - it says 'error - contact administrator.' I've tried upping the RID registry entry to 50 which was defaulted to 0. I ran dcdiag and found that the services failed, caused by ismserv. I started the ismserv service and set it to automatic. It now passes but I also get the following error:

Starting test: systemlog
* The System Event log test
An Error Event occured. EventI 0xC0001B58
Time Generated: 08/22/2005 12:48:42
(Event String could not be retrieved)
......................... <server> failed test systemlog

This is the DC with no other servers on this network. It's the DHCP and DNS server.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to SBS2003: Cant add user/re ...

Pretty obvious answer, but you already ran chkdsk /f to fix any disk errors?

Collapse -

by 621flatbed In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by 621flatbed In reply to SBS2003: Cant add user/re ...

Yes, I already ran chkdsk but thank you. I just got back the server back to the office. I am going to format it and reinstall. It doesn't have much configuration needed so this is probably for the best.

Collapse -

by 621flatbed In reply to SBS2003: Cant add user/re ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)