General discussion

Server 2003 and Exchange Upgrade

By avasile ·
Right now I have SBS 03 with Exchange included. I am limited on what can I do so I want to upgrade to Windows Standard edition and the same for Exchange. I was wonder if someone knows if I need to have 2 servers ready - one for Windows and one for Exchange. If so how do I setup them up? generate the domain first and then install Exchange?

Thank you for your help.
Adrian

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Dumphrey In reply to Server 2003 and Exchange ...

You definitely want 2 servers. You have to have AD set up before you can install exchange. It just wont install without access to active directory, and it wont uninstall either if it cant connect to a domain controller.I highly recommend the Exchange server Cookbook from O'Riley. It will walk you through the whole install process. Just remember, have your OS on one disk and your exchange database on another physical disk if at all possible. This provides maximum disk read/write and prevents lag from page file use. Also prevents loss of whole unit in the case of disk failure. (Having both disks mirrored is even better).

Collapse -

by avasile In reply to Server 2003 and Exchange ...

Let me get this right please. Install AD on the first server - make sure everyone can login, etc. then install E03 on a different computer. Does it have to be on Windows 2003 server OS also? Join it to the domain first?
Thank you.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Server 2003 and Exchange ...

you don't necessarily need Exchange on a seperate box as evident by SBS which has Exchange on the same box as everything else. How one determines server count depends on your user needs and existing infrastruture and whether that meets user needs.

If you have run to the user limit of 75 users or devices, there is apgrade path to W2003 Standard server. Here's a MS KB link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555073/en-us

Collapse -

by avasile In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by avasile In reply to Server 2003 and Exchange ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)