Question

server 2003 wireless

By jamerew ·
i have a dell server runing 2003 and i need to use a linksys wireless N router as and access point for laptops. do i need to use the install cd on the server to setup an ssid and everything or should i just plug the router in where evry i need it?
thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I would not put the install CD into a server

by Churdoo In reply to server 2003 wireless

well in fact I would not put that CD into anything. Throw the CD away and configure the router from the browser interface.

If the router is new out of the box, patch cable a test workstation or laptop into a LAN port of the router and let the test workstation pick up DHCP from the router. It should pick up 192.168.1.xxx. Then browse to http://192.168.1.1 and log into the router with its default admin user/pass. Default for the linkys is usually admin/admin or admin/blank.

Configure the wireless settings from the browser interface.

You may also change the router's LAN IP (management IP) to be a valid IP on your own network, change from the default admin password, and if you already have a DHCP server on your network, don't forget to turn off DHCP on the router.

Collapse -

well

by jamerew In reply to I would not put the insta ...

i was thinking of installing the cd on one of the laptops. so i could change the ssid and add a content filter like ip cop or set the routers dns to open dns.com

Collapse -

Absolutely

by Churdoo In reply to well

You can do all that in the browser interface without installing the CD. The CD is generally just a basic install wizard which will take you step by step through an interview and then configure the router based on your answers in the interview. The wizard cannot cover all scenarios so for all but the most basic setup you'll have to make whatever adjustments the wizard doesn't cover in the browser interface anyway, so may as well just do the whole thing in the browser interface and add the CD to your coaster collection. :-)

Collapse -

thanks

by jamerew In reply to Absolutely

cool. sounds like a new projet on monday. thanks

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)