Question

Server Management Console Small Business Server 2003

By soatone ·
I need to reinstall the Server Management Console and its accompanying wizards to a Windows 2003 Small Business Server. I have already read this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829622. This does not work for me as the component selection screen does not appear. Instead I am prompted to either create a new domain or join this server to an existing domain. This box is a stand alone file server only and will not be part of a domain.

Is there any way to reinstall the Server Management Console?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

can't do it

by CG IT In reply to Server Management Console ...

you have to install the SBS components and establish a domain otherwise the Windows 2003 Server component will go into reduced operating mode [basically won't work]. This is how SBS was designed.

Collapse -

What if....

by soatone In reply to can't do it

Can I establish the domain, install the components, and then demote the server? All I need to do is install more CALS, which the server will not allow me to do without the SBS Licensing Wizard. My management will absolutly not allow a Windows domain (please don't ask).

This server is just a file server with about 75 users accessing several shares. What server OS would allow me to do this without creating a domain?

Collapse -

if you have 75 users your at the limit

by CG IT In reply to What if....

SBS only allows 75 users or devices.

Windows Server 2003 will allow you to do what you want to do. SBS will not.

If you remove the SBs components, the server should, after 5 days, go into reduced mode.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)