General discussion

Sony VAIO model pcg-R505TS fan

By donmars ·
I have a sony VAIO in a docking station and the fan speeds up and slows down intermittently as I use the unit. It sounds like a car going uphill and then downhill sometimes. Is this normal? Anyone has suggestions on this? I tried various power saversettings. The unit is plugged into the wall outlet. It has 128 megs of ram running Windows ME and has lots of drive space.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Alpha-Male In reply to Sony VAIO model pcg-R505T ...

There are system fans that have the capability to speed up and slow down as needed to improve cooling and system efficiency...and this would obviously be even more of an advantage on a laptop. You may need to check with Sony to determine if this is the case with your fan, or it is simply malfunctioning...

Collapse -

by donmars In reply to Sony VAIO model pcg-R505T ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by hinrgman In reply to Sony VAIO model pcg-R505T ...

The fan you hear running is a cooling fan for the processor. The fans speed is a function of the temperature in the area of the processor. The software you are running is using the processor and the more it is used the hotter it gets and the more the fan runs. Check your processor usage and you will see that as the usage goes up so does the fan.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)