Question

SQl 2005 Report Server

By Anqara05 ·
we had an issue with reporting services for a third party application we use. to fix it reporting services instance had to be redeployed, IIS virtual directory recreated, we got back online. However the Report builder portion doesn't seem to be working now. Using the third party reporting model, i build a report in the MS report builder GUI and when i try to run it i get the following error
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
An attempt has been made to use a data extension 'SQL' that is not registered for this report server.
----------------------------
Cannot create command for data source 'dataSource1'.
----------------------------
An error has occurred during report processing.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I checked the rsreportserver.config file and it does have the SQL extenstion correctly defined under the <Data> and <SemanticQuery> sections.

Some specs about the server.
SQL2005 standard SP3 running on Win2k3 Ent. R2
8GB memory.
running two report instances.

I'm not sure what else to check here. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Version problem, config file in the right place?

by robo_dev In reply to SQl 2005 Report Server

http://blogs.msdn.com/selvar/archive/2009/03/21/error-an-attempt-has-been-made-to-use-a-data-extension-sql-that-is-not-registered-for-this-report-server.aspx

I know SQL 2005 SP2 tended to fix this problem...maybe SP3 breaks it?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/7c3b0ece-661d-45a6-95bf-a4bd9c390e0f

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Database/Reporting_/Q_23546961.html

text below swiped from forum listed above:

The following error, which occurs after upgrade, will tell you whether you need to recompile a data processing extension: "An error has occurred during report process. An attempt has been made to use a data processing extension <name> that is not registered for this report server

1. Remove custom extension settings from the rsreportserver.config file.
2. Run Setup to upgrade your report server installation.
3. Recompile your custom security extension or custom assembly that depends on a file in the report server directory structure:
o Start Visual Studio 2005.
o Open the solution. You will be prompted to convert the files.
o In Solution Explorer, right-click References, click Add Reference.
o Click Browse.
o Browse to Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.x\Reporting Services\ReportServer\Bin folder, and select Microsoft.ReportingServices.Interfaces.dll.
o Build the project or solution.
4. Copy the custom assembly to the \ReportServer\Bin folder.
5. Add the custom extension settings to the rsreportserver.config file.
6. Check the rsreportdesigner.config, rswebapplication.config, and the security policy configuration files to verify that the custom settings are still valid. Specifically, if the custom settings include a path to a Reporting Services folder, edit the value to use the new folder path.
7. Test your application or report.

Collapse -

Version maybe

by Anqara05 In reply to Version problem, config f ...

under Database Setup in SSRS it shows C.8.0.40 where are on the same server with another instance it's showing C.8.0.54
Is there anyway upgrade this without having to set up all the options on the reporting instance again ?

Collapse -

This is so random

by Anqara05 In reply to Version maybe

Issue is fixed. a simple restart was enough for this issue to go away.
I just hate not being able to find the root cause of this.

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)