General discussion

toshiba tecra 730cdt: trouble installing

By eXpl0it ·
I have a 730cdt with internal toshiba modem (not pccard). When I try to install it in windows 98, first it's required to install a special "toshiba modem port" for it, then select this port for modem. Win98 can't find port an modem. When I install this port manually, It doesn't appear in device manager, and have no assigned IRQ. So modem do not work (error opening port). Can anyone help with advice? The modem is called "Toshiba internal modem 28.8 (Voice+Fax+Data)" as it written in it's .inf file.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ec364 In reply to toshiba tecra 730cdt: tro ...

Toshiba usually assigns COM2 to its built-in modem. If COM2 or IRQ4 is assigned by Win98 to something else, your modem won't work. Here's how to fix it. Remove your modem from Device Manager. Also remove COM2 from Serial and Parallel ports in DeviceManager. Now, restart Windows 98. It will now properly recognize your modem and assign appropriate resources, I/O address and IRQ. If Windows 98 assigns a different IRQ, other than IRQ4 for COM2, then take a look at the Infrared port. If it is usingIRQ4, then diskable it from Device Manager. Delete your modem again and restart Windows 98.

Hope it helps. Enjoy!

Collapse -

by eXpl0it In reply to toshiba tecra 730cdt: tro ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by elinden11 In reply to toshiba tecra 730cdt: tro ...

Another possibilty may be that the modem is not enabled in the Bios. The Toshiba Tecra has a Bios setting which enables / disables the internal modem. Open the Bios settings on boot-up, and ensure the modem is enabled.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by bdgray In reply to toshiba tecra 730cdt: tro ...

Toshiba usually has a setup program for installing modems! Not just .inf files.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by anakin In reply to toshiba tecra 730cdt: tro ...

Since this is windows98, what I found on an other toshiba may solve the problem.
When I was installing the modem, I had to choose the option of choose from a list and force the drive even though windows did not say that was the correct modem. Afterword the modem worked properly. BTW I had to do the same for the voice port of the modem.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)