General discussion

Unable to see Workgroup Computers, Error 6118

By chawkins ·
I've searched support forums high and low and found numerous answers to this problem, but no fix has worked for me yet.

I work in a small office in which computers belong to one of four workgroups. Recently, all the computers in the "Software" group lost the ability to list the other "Software" computers -- using either My Network Places or the Net View command -- but are still able to communicate via ping and view files by typing \\computername into the address bar.

A "Software" computer can also access a computer in "Accounting" by doing the same. The Up button brings me to a list of all the "Accounting" computers. Hitting Up again, I'm brought to the Microsoft Windows Network List, in which only one of the four workgroups is visible -- "Software". Of course, if I try to click on the icon, I get the same timeout and error message as I had before:
"The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".

Conversely, computers from the other three workgroups do not see "Software" listed in the Microsoft Windows Network.

I've made sure all the "Software" computers have both the Computer Browser and Server services running, I've tried changing the registry value of DhcpNodeType from 8 to 1 and I've run a script to find the Master Browser, but it fails. I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

WINS issue

by BFilmFan In reply to Unable to see Workgroup C ...

If you can reach the systems by IP address, then you've got a WINS issue. NetBIOS name resolution requires either a LMHosts file or a WINS server.

Collapse -

Silver tongue

by santeewelding In reply to WINS issue

Even when you talk shlt.

Collapse -

I truly wish

by BFilmFan In reply to Silver tongue

Even if I did have 3 of the Lady Hawks Dance Team ask me to take their picture last night out by the sign out front...

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)