Question

• Creator
    Topic

Upgrade Options for “HP Envy 16-h0000” secondary m.2 ssd slot

by gunneras ·

Tags: 

Hi,

I’ve been searching and not finding any clear information about the secondary m.2 ssd slot in my laptop.

I found some indication here https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-16-inch-laptop-pc-16-h0000/2101086015/model/2101251631/document/ish_6507941-6507994-16

…that the secondary slot would accept a 0.5 or 1 TB NVME 2280 m.2 ssd but there is no mention if that would be a hard limit or if you can actually put a larger hard drive in this slot.

The primary slot today has a 2TB hard drive and I would love to put a 4TB drive in the secondary slot for a total 6TB disk space.

Is there anyone who has tried and been successful putting a 4TB hard drive in one of these laptops?

Best regards,

/Gunneras

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Try

by rproffitt ·

In reply to Upgrade Options for “HP Envy 16-h0000” secondary m.2 ssd slot

HP’s own forums but I haven’t found there to be a limit on any laptop so far.

But no, HP and other makers never do tell you it’s supported. Instead, go to Crucial.com and see what sizes Crucial offers for your laptop.

Reply To: Upgrade Options for “HP Envy 16-h0000” secondary m.2 ssd slot

by gunneras ·

In reply to Try

Thanks for the great tip rproffitt. 🙂
        I came across similar info elsewhere that HP and others never clearly tell you this kind of information.
        I was just worried there would some kind of cap on the BIOS as to not report more than 1TB as available drive space to the system even though the there would be a 2 or 4TB ssd in the slot.

Couldn’t find exactly my laptop model on the Crucial website but I would believe it’s possible to max the ssd a bit more than suggested at HP.

Re: secundary slot

by kees_b ·

In reply to Upgrade Options for “HP Envy 16-h0000” secondary m.2 ssd slot

The .5 or 1 TB you see in the link is the configuration HP sells. Not the maximum you can upgrade to.

You can try HP tech support, or you can try such a disk. If you can buy it with a return option, it’s riskless.

Viewing 1 reply thread