General discussion

Use opsolete Cisco 1721

By dennisbv ·
I have an retired Cisco 1721 router that was connected to a T1 circuit I want to use it as an internal router where both the ethernet and the serial ports are connected to an ethernet network. I configured it but I cannot get the serial connection to come up. Can I use this that way? When I try it says the interface and line are down.
What is the trick?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Use opsolete Cisco 1721

OK firstly I don't know this particular unit but I'v erun into a lot of problems with Com Port Cables and Y2K or newer OS's that do not support the same Com Port Commands that where used by older versions of Windows. If I remember correctly Pin 9 had to be removed from the Com Port Lead to work with the newer Versions of Windows so really it's not fesiable to do unless you are making up your own Com Port Leads. When I run into these problems I use a USB to Com Port Converter of the Computer end of the Com Lead and generally that solves the problem though it's not the cheapest way around the problem but generally it does prove effective.

When that doesn't work I tend to forget about the Com Leads on that pareticular computer this used to be a very common problem with older UPS's and that's where I got the infomation from.

Col

Collapse -

by dennisbv In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by mshavrov In reply to Use opsolete Cisco 1721

If it's T1 interface, it can not be connected to anything else but T1. Not Ethernet, not DSL, not Cable, etc. You may buy additional modules, for example, ADSL or Etherent, but they could cost you more than a new retail-grade broadband router.

Good luck,

Mike
CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, etc.
http://www.3comheadsetadapter.com

Collapse -

by dennisbv In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by dennisbv In reply to Use opsolete Cisco 1721

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)