General discussion

w2000 install problem

By grogues ·
Does anybody know why i seem unable to load w2000 pro on my computer.
Everything goes fine until i get past the 2nd reboot in the checking hardware bar phase and about halfway through it stops moving then the screen goes black with the cursor in the top left corner.
All my hardware is generic unexotic stuff(seagate 10gb h'drive, cd-rom and floppy) so i think the only thing could be the msi k7t pro 2-a motherboard.
Tried everything to no avail. Updated all the drivers etc,etc.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Tried 2 different w2000 pro disks and 1 w2000 server. Have loaded nt4.0 with no problems.

Cheers.
Grogues

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

w2000 install problem

by CG IT In reply to w2000 install problem

huum I dont' believe it's the MSI K7T 266 Pro 2 motherboard as my computer has the same board and I'm running W2K.
Question: how did you setup the hard drive before install? or did you let Windows do it? If you let windowsdo it [disable the boot sector write protection in the BIOS] it may be that it's tried to write to the boot sector and with the BIOS protection enabled, it can't, [though you would see a BIOS popup message indicating a boot sector write attempt.]
Try setting up your HDD first [with FAT32] and then load W2K keeping the FAT32 file system. After install, you can use the convert c:/FS:NTFS command to make the file system NTFS. [

Collapse -

w2000 install problem

by grogues In reply to w2000 install problem

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

w2000 install problem

by bndp In reply to w2000 install problem

Have you checked the HCL for your hardware? Are you doing a fresh install? Have you formatted your partition to FAT first? Have you ever had another operating system on it? Try looking into these things.. Hope this works. Brandi

Collapse -

w2000 install problem

Collapse -

w2000 install problem

by Pocono In reply to w2000 install problem

Try running the checkupgrade option...also, check the Hardware Compatability List on microsoft's website...you could have an incompatability problem...Peace...

Collapse -

w2000 install problem

Collapse -

w2000 install problem

by Pocono In reply to w2000 install problem

Also, if you are upgrading from NT4, you will need Service pack 4 installed....hope this helps...

Collapse -

w2000 install problem

Collapse -

w2000 install problem

by bohicam1 In reply to w2000 install problem

I've had a similar problem with my board. Go into the bios (can't remember where) and disable the midi port, it usually takes IRQ 10, it may be conflicting with another hardware device.
Good luck!

Mike

Collapse -

w2000 install problem

Back to Desktop Forum
17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Related Forums