General discussion

win2000 install

By tyson44 ·
after i run the win2000 prof. installation and pc reboots, after it ask for scsi or raid drivers and checks for hardware i get a blank screen. i tried to upgrade from 98 and a clean install, same prob.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

win2000 install

by dmiles In reply to win2000 install

Insert the Windows 98 startup disk,boot computer at command prompt type FDISK

Choose option to delete primary partition

Select to Create Primary DOS partition

When the partition is created,reboot computer,at command prompt type Format system c:

After formatting is complete,insert the W2K disk in cd-rom drive and proceed to install

You may want to run scandisk to check the drive for errors,then make sure the system meet minimum requirements to install W2K Pro

Collapse -

win2000 install

by tyson44 In reply to win2000 install

it didnt work

Collapse -

win2000 install

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

win2000 install

the cd doesnt run under dos, will it run after i make the partition?/

Collapse -

win2000 install

by Steve Merrill In reply to win2000 install

The cd won't run from DOS unless you get a cd-rom driver. Just look for any cheap dos atapi driver on the net.

Original problem: Unless I read this wrong, it looks like the entire install goes through, the computer reboots, goes through installing drivers on a blue screen, tells you to press (I think F to install Raid or 3rd party drivers, then goes to a blank screen? If so, Windows 2000 doesn't go through the driver load process that asks for those drivers unless it's trying to do the setup. Make sure the system isn't booting off of the cd after you've loaded 2000.

Collapse -

win2000 install

cd will run after i use the startup disk, but the win2000 setup will not run from dos unlike the win98 setup

the blue screen is still during setup.

i ran the setup in win98, it restarts, gives me the option to load windows 2000 setup or windows, i chose win2000 setup, it ask for the raid or scsi (f6), then continues, its says loading windows 2000, then the blank screen comes

Collapse -

win2000 install

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

win2000 install

Go to the Microsoft Knowledgebase web site and download the ATAPI.exe updated file,you then should be able to load the cd-rom driver.
You could try this site for boot disk with the cd-rom
www.bootdisk.com
If you have a ERD anti-virus disk run it in DOS mode to check the drive for any viruses
Have you had any problems with the hardware lately?

Collapse -

win2000 install

the cd driver is not the problem, i can get to the cd using the startup disk, the 2000 setup doesnt run under DOS

Collapse -

win2000 install

There has to something else not allowing setup to proceed,you should not be in dos when the cd-rom driver has been loaded,the cd will auto run

Are you using a upgrade disk?
lOAD Windows 98 then run the setup for W2K

Check to make sure that you are not having any memory problems or the drive is not compressed,then chek to see if system meets the minimum requirements for W2K installation

Back to Desktop Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next