General discussion

Win98se freezes when printing to hl-820

By fwilliam ·
Win 98 se freezes when printing to brother hl-820 new drivers installed cables checked etc.I also have a hpc500 with hl-820 through a switch box this prints fine i even tried printing direct without switch box but had the same prob.However if i use the utility on the brother cd for printing a test page it prints fine no lock ups weird can anyone help please

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Deadly Ernest In reply to Win98se freezes when prin ...

When you print a test page it send printer specific commands direct to the printer, when you try to print from an application it tries to convert the commands to those for the printer directed to (usually the default printer) and then tries to contact the printer using those commands via the spooler. thus this sounds like a software conflict in the application or the operating system.

I would check the default printer settings for the application that you are printing from and also check theprinter setting for the printer in the Printers section in Control Panel. This sounds like the system is not using the proper spooler for that printer or trying to find that printer.

If you have the other printer set as the default and then try to print to this while the software is still thinking it is printing to the other printer it will spend until eternity trying to find and use the other printer.

Collapse -

by fwilliam In reply to Win98se freezes when prin ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by fwilliam In reply to Win98se freezes when prin ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)