General discussion

Windows 2000 Locks Up

By djrampant ·
Brief bit of history before I start.

I added a second HDD to my system about 6 months ago, this caused the PSU to pop. After replacing the PSU I was unable to boot from my original Western Digital drive, however I was from the second Maxtor drive. I then disconnected the WD drive and rebuilt my system with Win XP.

This was running fine until I added my DSL modem. The system then got really slow so I decided to rebuild with Win2k. This was working fine for a few days but then I started getting random lockups as Win2k booted up (before the logon screen).

I then downloaded the test software for both HDD?s and for my RAM. I ran all the tests and everything got the OK so I low level formatted both drives. I then updated my BIOS to the latest version. I installed Win2k with all the updates and everything seemed OK.

The next day I booted up the machine and the WD slave drive was not detected in the BIOS, I then rebooted and neither the master or slave were detected so I disconnected the slave and booted up fine.

I left the PC on for a while and it was working, but then I came back and it had locked up again.

I have tried everything but cannot figure this out can you help?

My hardware is below:

CPU: PIII 600
Motherboard: Epox EP-6VBA
Graphics: Geforce 4
Sound Card: SBLive!
Mouse: Optical USB MS Mouse
RAM: 2X 256 MB SDRAM Sticks

Thanks in advance.

Daz.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

23 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Locks Up

by SpiderErrol In reply to Windows 2000 Locks Up

My first thought would be the Wattage of your new power supply (which you haven't mentioned). I had very similar problems in my system, and it was due to the PSU running close to max. For your setup, I would suggest at least a 450W PSU.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Locks Up

by djrampant In reply to Windows 2000 Locks Up

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Locks Up

by WhW In reply to Windows 2000 Locks Up

It also possible that when you "caused the PSU to pop" you sent a power spike through the system, which could cause all types of intermittent problems. If possible try the drives in another systems to see if they exhibit the same problems.

As another thought, totally unrelated to the drives, it might be a power-management issue. Disable hibernation/sleep mode in the power management console of the control panel. This could also cause simular problems.

HIH

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Locks Up

I have tried the problematic drive in another machine and it appears to work fine. Also any hibernate/sleep options are disabled. I havent tried the 2 drivers together yet tho.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Locks Up

by lawlors In reply to Windows 2000 Locks Up

If your using win 2000 then you can check the event viewer to see what happens just before the lockup. This will hopefully point you towards the problem.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Locks Up

I checked Event Viwer before I posted. There were no errors.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Locks Up

by MicroHell In reply to Windows 2000 Locks Up

I would agree with answer 1. Your PSU is not strong enough to handle the added hardware.

How long did you run the tests for? You should run tests for at least 24 hours, if you do have a problem with the main board and they are intermittent, thelonger the test runs the more likely you will discover them.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Locks Up

I am trying to get a higher rated PSU.

Can you recommend any motherboard test software? The HDD test software doesnt allow you test for that long.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Locks Up

by tduval In reply to Windows 2000 Locks Up

If added DSL modem is USB, you can lock your PSU because of it.

Try USB hub to avoid this.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Locks Up

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Back to Desktop Forum
23 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next