General discussion

Windows 2000 server

By mex_carnal ·
Hello,

Have a question i have a domain controller running windows 2000 Server. It has been acting weird so i am thinking about performing a repair during setup. This server is running the DHCP and DNS.

My questions is after i do the repair does it retain the same configuration or do i have to configure DHCP and DNS all over.

Any replys to this question is very much appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Windows 2000 server

Define what you mean by "weird."

And running a repair from setup is a guarantee to trash Active Directory.

What issues are you seeing on this domain controller or on client systems?

What is the event logs?

Collapse -

by mex_carnal In reply to

Hey thanks for answering,

When i say weird it means that some things are not running properly for example:

- Norton Anti-virus auto protect is disabled (have restarted several times and still does not get enabled)

- When i right click on My Network Places to see my connections the window never opens up

- I cannot go to the Windows update web page or install any updates, computer stalls

- I cannot open and connect to my Disk Management on the Computer Management

- Veritas Backup does not recognize tape drive and changes the tape drive to OFFLINE and When it is Online I run a job and it never backups anything just tells me that the device was paused.

- If i restart the DNS Server serice it will timeout causing me to reboot the server

- The computer used to let me know that one of the service or device failed to start. This used to happen when this problem wasn't around which is fine. But now it doesn't even let me know of this.

I have done scans for virus or spyware from different scanners and does not find anything. All the services seem to be running fine none of them are stopped.

When i first restarted the server i got this error message in event viewer but recently that i have rebooted this message has not shown up again.

"Application popup: Drwtsn32.exe - dll Inialization fialed : The application failed to initialize because the windows station is shutting down."

All clients are running fine, so if i do a repair it will trash my active directory, so i guess its better to do an upgrade to Windows 2003, right.

Thanks again.

Collapse -

by gaynors In reply to Windows 2000 server

Did you resolve your problem? I was having the same problem and with several of my 2000 servers and figured out it was APC Power Chute client software that needed a critical update.

Collapse -

by mex_carnal In reply to

I never checked if my PowerChute Software was the problem. I never actually found what was the real problem but it gave me a perfect chance to upgrade my server to Windows 2003.

Collapse -

by mex_carnal In reply to Windows 2000 server

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)