General discussion

Windows 2000 Server Installation

By tkappers ·
I am performing a new installation of WIN 2000 Server on a RAID 1 mirror array. After booting the CD, setup starts to load files at the blue setup screen. It however hangs up at "Setup is Starting Windows 2000" To eliminate the RAID, I tried the same install on the standard Primary IDE controller. I am not using a 3rd party RAID controller rather it is integrated with the mboard. The same problems also occur with Windows 2000 professional. I am using a newer mboard. Dual processors 1200 celerons. I have changed data cables, hard drives to help eliminate the problem. Only one time has it made it past the "starting Windows 2000" but then my enter key did not work on the keyboard. Is this possibly a faulty mboard?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tkappers In reply to Windows 2000 Server Insta ...

Ok, having both CPU's installed without the drivers installed is what caused the original problem. Now that I have gone through this problem, when I proceed with the setup, and the drives are on the RAID controllers, the error message says that setup did not find any hard drives installed on the computer. Both drives are set up as master and on their own channel. The documentation also says that they should be set to Master. What am I missing?

Collapse -

by mbarakt In reply to Windows 2000 Server Insta ...

please the following steps might help.
1. enter to the BIOS setup and Disable Autocheck
Virus.
2. also make sure the jumper settings of HDD are OK with the manual instruction.
3. check your HDD for virus to another computer it might be this isone of the reason to appear a blue screen @ the time of Setup start.
4. check the HCL from your CD installation if there is all your computer components list in this file.

pls feel free to ask me any Q by using my e-mail address ( mbarakt@ktpmail.every1.net )

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by cul8rm8e In reply to Windows 2000 Server Insta ...

forgive my ignorance here but, am i wrong in thinking that you have had a RAID1 array previously set up on your machine and you task is to reinstall this machine with 2k server as a new installation as you said (performing a new installation of WIN 2000 Server on a RAID 1 mirror array)

if this is the case you will have to break the mirror on your previous installation and also if you have upgraded your drives to dynamic DISC before you created your mirror you will have to break the mirror and delete all volumes for a new installation!
win2k wont be able to access the HD for a new istallation if the drives have been upgraded to dynamic discs simply because these drives wont be recognised as valid structures.

hope this helps

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)