General discussion

Windows 2000 Server Problems

By KbKmTmTw ·
All of a sudden my Dell PowerEdge 4600 Server running Windows 2000 Server OS started doing strange things. I discovered this as I was going to change my backup tape using Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 and saw that the device was offline... so I tried to get it back online but all of a suddent it could not find any backup device... The backup device is an internal one.

Then, I also discovered:
1) That I could not get into the Symantec System Ctr as a message came up that said it could not find the Server Group that was created.
2) I found the computer freezing up when trying to go into different areas.
3) I tried to open Properties under My Network Places but it would not open.

I did run a virus scan and found nothing. And,I don't know what to do now.

School staff come back to work tomorrow and I really need help!!! Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ltop In reply to Windows 2000 Server Probl ...

Your AV is up to date with the latest definitions?

Check the event logs for any errors.

This is a file/print server? or what is it's main purpose?

It was okay yesterday but today...... In other words what has happened since yesterday.

Let us know how u get on,

cheers

Collapse -

by Breydel In reply to Windows 2000 Server Probl ...

You may have a services issue - like with APC powerchute, there are services that "expire" after a while and cause unpredictable problems.

In order to narrow it down always check the event viewer - if you cannot find anything there, run msconfig and disable all services, reboot and gradually re-add services until you encounter problems again.

Collapse -

by mh In reply to Windows 2000 Server Probl ...

I ran into a similar problem with two servers after the latest patches from Microsoft were installed. After checking the logs, I narrowed it down to the Powerchute software. I removed this software and then everything began working again. That is as far as I have gone. I did read something back about a month ago that Powerchute was no longer supporting one of it's products, but I didn't think anything of it. Good Luck.

Mark

Collapse -

by george.barry In reply to Windows 2000 Server Probl ...

I have similar problems. I run win 2000 server with APC powerchute and veritas 9.0 and my backup appears offline. I can't investigate as services won't shut down and programs won't install or uninstall without ending up not responding. Rebooting doesn't help. can anyone assist me with this version of the same problem.

Thanks

George

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)