General discussion

Windows 2000 startup problems

By cmlewis74 ·
I have a Dell system running Win2K: 667Mhz, 128 MB of RAM, 9 gig hard drive. The problem is that it takes forever to startup, 5 minutes or longer and when Windows does load, the programs take long to execute. I have reinstalled, reformatted and reinstalled and defragment but the problem still persists. Is this a problem with startup files or is a device going bad?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Help Desk Analyst In reply to Windows 2000 startup prob ...

Some dells are BIOS locked and if you bought yours and it came with a resource cd but you used a diff windows cd then of course you will have this problem.

You need to use the version of windows that came with your BIOS locked system.... This iswhy OEM systems are so cheap.

But now the above was only an assumption why you system is slow. Other reason why it is slow?

A. CPU fan died..
B. Virus
C. Dust inside.
D. Static discharge damage.
E. certian lower level system drivers not installed or not installed properly.
F. wrong type or speed of ram in the computer.
G. Bad or failing hard drive.

Take your pick!

Good Luck I hope you find the problem!

Inachu
http://inachu.tripod.com

Collapse -

by cmlewis74 In reply to Windows 2000 startup prob ...

Thanks a lot! My computer is working fine...

Collapse -

by BobHo In reply to Windows 2000 startup prob ...

I would believe this to be a driver issue. I run w2k on numerous Dell systems without any problems. The original release had problems (as all ms os's do) but after service pack 2 most of the problems were resolved. You can download service packs directly from MS but beware, they run over 100MB! If you don't have cable/dsl then get someone who does and have them download sp2 or sp3 and burn it to a disk for you. I know sp2 works good but sp3 is fairly new and has caused some issues on some machines.

Things to try right now:

Hit ctrl-alt-del and click on the Task Manager button. Go to the second tab (Processes) and see what is going on. If you click on the CPU column heading it will arrange all processes by their CPU usage. Watch the items at the top of the list. If you are not running any applications the System Idle Process should be taking up most of the CPU cycles. If some other process is continually at the top then that is probably the problem. You can minimize this window while you do your normal activities and restore it when things seem to really slow down to see what's going on.

Post back with what you see.

DrBob:&gt

Collapse -

Thanks, but I tried this and it did not work...

Collapse -

by angsax In reply to Windows 2000 startup prob ...

Check that your hard drive jumper is set to Master (or Single Drive), rather than Cable Select. We use Dell's extensively and haven't had this problem. Gateway's have displayed this behavior when booting.

You may have to check all drivers are up to date also. Dell is usually very helpful (we are abusiness though!).

Collapse -

Thanks, but did not help...

Collapse -

by Big Ray In reply to Windows 2000 startup prob ...

Dude, you got a Dell!? Sorry, couldn't help myself. I don't mind Dell's but there commercials and especially there dork of a spokesperson really drive me nuts. Now that that is off my mind, try upgrading or downgrading your BIOS. I have had the same problem with some the machines at work. They worked fine, we upgraded to the latest BIOS and your problem appeared. The next upgrade they ran fine again. If there were no later upgrades, then we downgraded to the next earlier version and theyseemed to work good also.

Collapse -

This did not help either, thanks anyway for your input..

Collapse -

Thanks, guys. Right now, I am not at my computer but as soon as I get back I will try all your suggestions!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Desktop Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next