Question

Windows 2003 Server with XP clients over Wireless

By skorv ·
Hi, I'm having a small huge problem... The network i'm working on has a Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition in a stand alone Xeon Server... nothing abnormal about that. My wireless network is pure Linksys, both on the adapters and the access points. The problem is that if i log on as soon as a computer boots I don't log into the domain... the computer loads the default XP desktop... This condition has to do with the wireless I think, but as much as i try i cannot find the answer. if I wait a little more I can log in to the domain, but it would be kind of odd to advise everyone to boot and wait a minute to log in... this is a school (I was hired to rebuild the network and use wireless as much as possible) and I don't see patient people waiting for the "time" to log on... Please Help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Wireless as much as possible?

by Churdoo In reply to Windows 2003 Server with ...

Ugh! Wireless is not ready for that kind of prime time, IMHO.

Nevertheless, on these wireless workstations, is the Linksys driver utility managing the wireless connection or is Windows. If the Linksys driver will allow Windows to manage the wireless connection instead of the linky utility, then you may have better luck with the pre-logon wireless connection, as the windows management will be smart enough to make sure the wireless connection is made before winlogon attempts the logon.

Collapse -

I'm in a mess

by skorv In reply to Wireless as much as possi ...

I've tried everything that comes to mind. a friend tells me that intel wireless cards can be configured to connect before logon... as for this one, they are new to me... 1st time i use any type of mainstreem wireless (i prefer wired networks for this type of service... easier and works better all the way)... anyway i'm trying my best to make sure it works or this client goes out the door... and i really cant afford to loose this one
Thanks for the tip... i'll try it 1st thing monday morning :)

Collapse -

There is a GPO

by IC-IT In reply to I'm in a mess

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon: Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)