General discussion

Windows Me and 2000 lockups

By gchastine ·
Hello, I have a quick question. My computer hangs up. I re-installed Windows Me. No problems with install at all. When opening IE or Control panel or other window, the computer hangs and stops responding. I re-installed again, same thing. I installed Windows 2000, same thing. I changed memory sticks, same thing. I switched to another clean new hard drive, re-installed Windows same thing. I'm thinking motherboard or processor issues. Any suggestions?

Sincerely,
Greg

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by OTL In reply to Windows Me and 2000 locku ...

Look at your IE options/settings, some versions/updates cause it to attempt to dial-up an ISP (even when you are attached to a LAN!). Have you let it go and see if it says no-dialtone ? Another caused IE to attempt to connect to an expired/deleted URL as the home page.

Have you added all updates/service packs for IE ?

Does IE open, or is that where the hang-up is ? May have a bad copy of IE. If all other programs appear to be working fine, wait an hour after attempting to open something and see if you get an error message.

Collapse -

by gchastine In reply to Windows Me and 2000 locku ...

I may not have explained correctly. The problem is not when I am attempting to get into IE, it is attempting to do anything at all; ie. view control panel, open document, etc... computer locks up.

Collapse -

by mikex In reply to Windows Me and 2000 locku ...

Open the PC detach Fan&radiator from CPU, check CPU and fan, clean radiator, put some thermopaste between radiator and CPU, install them and try again.

Back to Desktop Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)