Question

Windows Server2000 to Windows server 2003

By kiranchinnu ·
Hi all,

First of all I thank everyone on tech republic for such a good forum which helps me to enhance the my knowledge and troubleshooting skills from day to day.

I have a situation in my office now. We have total 14 servers in 4 sites , 3 in UK and 1 in France. Main site is the site where I work in UK and I have main domain controller as well in the same place.

I have one server on windows 2000 @ other site which is HP PROLIANT ML350
I want to upgrade to server 2003 . This acts as back up domain controller and also local dc. This server acts as DHCP, DNS, WINS, FILE AND PRINT for that subnet. And also it runs applications like veritas backup exc ver 10 . Also I have exchange server 2003 running in that site.

Will it be straight forward upgrade???? how much time it is expected ???? Will every service will be up and running on own or should I do anything??? Will exchange server automatically detect this dc???? How are users going to get affected????

Help on these questions is appreciated

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Windows Server2000 to Windows server 2003. Step by step.

Click on this link for your step by step instructions:
http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-2000/how-to-migrate-windows-server-2000-to-windows-server-2003-step-by-step-tutorial/
Hope all goes well.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

Collapse -

Thanks for the Help

by kiranchinnu In reply to Windows Server2000 to Win ...

Thanks for previous answer, looked @ the tutorial but it was creating a new server (even new hardware as well) and then migrating the FSMO to the new one.

However my situation is I want to upgrade existing WINDOWS 2000SERVER to WINDOWS SERVER2003 , just a upgrade.

Pls let me know the answers....

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)