General discussion

Windows Small Business Server 2003

By winston_tan ·
i am in the mist of reviewing my office network and plan to do some major upgrading. I was thinking of upgrading to Windows Small Business Server 2003 due to the fact that it has MS Exchange and SharePoint services as part of it.

From what i have learn it is only limited to 75 users. Should i hit the 75 users point, are there any upgrades available to overcome this?

Due to the limited space within the office, can i colocated the new server preinstall with windows small business server 2003 in a data centre? Can this be done?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Windows Small Business Se ...

It is limited to 75 users. If you exceed 75 users, then you are simply out of luck.

Windows 2003 Small Business Server has some special gotchas:

It has to be the ONLY domain controller.

You cannot rename the domains since Exchange is installed.

It's all on one box. If it fails, AD is out for everyone. Ditto on Exchange.

Since everything is on one box, there are real issues for running low on system resources.

This product was really designed for very small (under 25 users) offices. I have seen cases of offices of 40 people swamp the server and it crashes due to a lack of resources.

If you have 75-100 users, buy low-end office servers from Dell and the standard versions of the Microsoft Windows 2003 and Exchange server packages. You will save more time and money in the long run.

Collapse -

by winston_tan In reply to

Well as my current service provider is coming up with a new package for Windows SBS 2003 based on per user subscription, it will be more ecomical for my company. I will save on the hardware cost as i will login to the Windows SBS that there have setup in the data centre, i was told the environment would be the same as if the server is located in my office.

The good thing about this that the server is more secure in the data centre and that my users when they are travelling overseas can login to the domain and file server with ease. Currently that is not possible.

Would speed be an issue?

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)