General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

XP term. cannot connect to 2000 server

by kgalbreth ·

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which I am trying to add to our current network.
    Our server is running Windows 2000 Server.
    The laptop is running XP.
    I have set up the laptop using the XP wizard, and can connect to the web through the router.
    I can see the workgroup using windows explorer, but cannot connect to the server.
    Message received say that the machine does not have the proper authentication.
    On the server, the machine name is entered with the proper rights, and the message is that the
    “server \\Wstation cannot be found.
    Any help will save the hair that is remaining.
    Ken

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: XP term. cannot connect to 2000 server

by sgt_shultz ·

In reply to XP term. cannot connect to 2000 server

you can ping server from xp box, yes? and xp box is on same subnet, same workgroup, runs protocol that server runs, yes?

by bfilmfan ·

Is is XP Professional?
      XP Home won’t work on a Windows domain.

Did you join the system to the domain by logging in as the domain administrator on the laptop?

Do you have the client for Microsoft networks installed on the laptop?

If you are at the server, type the command:

NBTSTAT -A XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX where the XXX’s are the IP address of the laptop. At the very bottom of the report you should see a MAC address.

See if you can ping the machine by it’s fully qualifed domain name, which would be something on the order or laptopname.mydomain.com.

Try those steps first and then reply and see what further assistance we can offer.

by rindi1 ·

Is your server running active Directory and are you trying to add your dell to that? Are you trying to connect via a wireless lan? I’ve had some problems adding a new pc to Active Directory via Wlan, because the access point had a problem with DNS. When I connected with normal ethernet cable, everything worked fine and once the PC has been in the active directory, I was able to use the wlan without problems.

by kgalbreth ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 3 reply threads