If you're like me, you wind up with a lot of tabs open in Chrome. On the desktop version, that isn't a problem. On the Android version of Chrome, well, it can easily land in the out of sight, out of mind category. In the end, you'll wind up with thirty tabs open and your device will start running slowly. Or, you'll have those tabs open and find the method of Tapping the tab icon and swiping through the tabs to find what you want to view (Figure A).
Swiping through tabs on a Verizon-branded Droid Turbo.
This can be an inefficient (and frustrating) exercise ─ especially when you switch tabs frequently. Thankfully, the Android developers have included another method of switching between tabs. Here's how you accomplish this:
- Open Chrome on your Android device
- Open as many tabs as necessary (if you don't already have them open)
- Swipe down until the address bar shows
- Swipe to the left or right on the address bar (not from either edge of the screen) to move between tabs
That's it! Quick and easy tab switching in Chrome for Android.
Unfortunately, they have yet to create a simple gesture to close tabs. To do this you still have to tap on the tab icon, locate the tab to close, and tap the X on the tab window (or swipe the tab to the right or left). You can also drag downwards (starting from the address bar) to open the tab window (Video A).
Managing your tabs in Chrome for Android doesn't have to be a time suck. With a simple swipe, you can switch between open tabs and even gain access to the tab management window.
Is Chrome your go-to mobile browser? If not, which mobile browser do you prefer? Let us know in the discussion thread below.
- How to avoid the Android Jellybean Webview vulnerability
- Pro tip: Sharing Google cloud print printers
- Easily manage bookmarks between your desktop and Android device
- Pro tip: Speed up Chrome on Android with this handy hack
Jack Wallen is an award-winning writer for TechRepublic and Linux.com. He’s an avid promoter of open source and the voice of The Android Expert. For more news about Jack Wallen, visit his website jackwallen.com.