Software development is a dynamic field, where programming languages, frameworks, and technologies may live and die within a few years, and job market needs are constantly changing. However, developers remain among the most in-demand tech professionals, and learning the right programming languages and other skills can help you find a high-paying job in the field.
A Tuesday report from Pluralsight identified the most popular software development technologies of the past year, along with those with the most growth.
Here are the top 10 most popular software development technologies, as of December 2018, according to the report:
SEE: IT Hiring Kit: Programmer (Tech Pro Research)
The inclusion of Java, C++, and SQL in the top 10 show how powerful these mainstays are, Jones said. "Huge businesses have built their livelihoods on these stalwarts, and they continue to play central roles in many business' back-end code bases," he added.
The report also examined the software development technologies with the most growth over the past year:
- Apple MDM
- Microsoft Powerapps
- Oracle Cloud Platform
- Apache Knox Gateway
- Apache Nifi
The big takeaways for tech leaders:
- Svelte, Apple MDM, and Jest were the software development technologies with the most growth over the past year. -- Pluralsight, 2019
- DevOps: A cheat sheet (TechRepublic)
- 20 pro tips to make Windows 10 work the way you want (TechRepublic download)
- System update policy template download (Tech Pro Research)
- Microsoft Office 365 for business: Everything you need to know (ZDNet)
- The 10 most important iPhone apps of all time (Download.com)
- It takes work to keep your data private online. These apps can help (CNET)
- Programming languages and developer career resources coverage (TechRepublic on Flipboard)