General discussion

CMS-ABS external drive not see by 2003 Server

By millhouselives ·
Hi,

I have connected a brand new CMS ABS 250GB ABS-Secure Encrypted External drive to a Windows 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2 server.(The Server is a Dell Power Edge SC1420) The external drive appears under System>Device Manager> listed as WDC WD25 00BEVT-22CT drive.

The external drive also appears in Disk Management as :Healthy(Unknown Partition)with size of 232.88GB. I have a screen shot of this if anyone would like to see it.

No file system is listed for it. The only option available by right clicking on the drive listed is "delete partition". There is no option to assign a drive letter to the external drive.

In addition when the USB cable for the CMS is unplugged and replugged the "safely remove hardware' icon appears in the task bar tray. Clicking on it to remove device also shows it listed as a WDC WD25 00BEVT-22CT drive.

The problem is that the CMS external drive does not appear in the "My Computer" folder and therefore cannot use it.

I have attached the new CMS external hard drive to a Windows XP workstation and it works fine on that computer. I have also tried inserting two different "flash drives" into the Server USB port and they are seen by the Server with no issues.

I do beleive my problem is with the actual software that is needed to install and manage this drive. The CD supplied with the drive does list on it's label the Operating Systems supported and 2003 Server is listed, BUT, when I try to install the software (CE-Secure application) on the server I receive the following message.

"CE-Secure disk requires that you computer is running Windows Vista or Windows XP or Windows 2000."

By the way, I did contact the vendor CMS Products prior to purchase and was assured that the drive would work with 2003 Server. I have also contacted their support and not happy with them at all. Their solution sent it back to them and they will fix. If I have to I will but that is extra cost and time on my end for to fix a "brand new external drive".

I have always received great advice from Tech Republic and so I am trying here first to see if anyone can help me out.

thanks,
Steve

P.S. I did call vendor and told them I thought maybe that the CD I have is mislabed and does not have the proper software on it to install the drive, they said send it back..they are very hard to work with..constant canned email messges from them. Long wait times on phone, etc.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Back to Networks Forum
0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)