Question

Migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 if answer file is not detected

By zfreeman ·
I have purchased a Dell PE T710 with SBS 2008 pre-installed. I followed the MS Migration guide, but it seems that the server did not recognize my answer file when I plugged the USB drive in. I copied the answer file to the root directory on the destination server, but it still is not recognized.

If I boot from the SBS CD, then it asks me to do a clean install, which will lose all of my files.

If I don't boot from the CD, it asks for the company information and then the server name and domain name. I can type all of that in, but it says that the domain already exists and that I need to choose another. I want to migrate from this domain COMPANYDOMAIN to COMPANYDOMAIN. I don't want to change domain names. I understand I will have to change server names though.

Is there something that I can do to reset the installation so that it reads the answer file?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Ideas?

by zfreeman In reply to Migrate from SBS 2003 to ...

I haven't had any luck on this. I'm almost ready to just do a clean install and start over. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Collapse -

personally, the $200.00 for swing migration is well worth it

by CG IT In reply to Migrate from SBS 2003 to ...

see sbsmigration.com

if you don't want to shell out the $195.00 then use the ADMT to migrate over to the new domain.

the caveat is use different NetBIOS names because ADMT will use that to find the new domain.

http://www.sbsmigration.com/

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)