Migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 if answer file is not detected

By zfreeman ·
I have purchased a Dell PE T710 with SBS 2008 pre-installed. I followed the MS Migration guide, but it seems that the server did not recognize my answer file when I plugged the USB drive in. I copied the answer file to the root directory on the destination server, but it still is not recognized.

If I boot from the SBS CD, then it asks me to do a clean install, which will lose all of my files.

If I don't boot from the CD, it asks for the company information and then the server name and domain name. I can type all of that in, but it says that the domain already exists and that I need to choose another. I want to migrate from this domain COMPANYDOMAIN to COMPANYDOMAIN. I don't want to change domain names. I understand I will have to change server names though.

Is there something that I can do to reset the installation so that it reads the answer file?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

by zfreeman In reply to Migrate from SBS 2003 to ...

I haven't had any luck on this. I'm almost ready to just do a clean install and start over. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Collapse -

personally, the $200.00 for swing migration is well worth it

by CG IT In reply to Migrate from SBS 2003 to ...

if you don't want to shell out the $195.00 then use the ADMT to migrate over to the new domain.

the caveat is use different NetBIOS names because ADMT will use that to find the new domain.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)